This makes a great lunch or side dish to serve at a BBQ – who doesn’t love pesto?!
A few tips to ‘zero waste’ this dish:
- Grow your own basil OR shop for ingredients at a local farmer’s market and ask them to package it without plastic
- Take your produce bags to your local grocer or supermarket so you aren’t tempted to buy the leafy greens in a bag!
- Most bulk food stores will stock all of the dry goods for this dish
- If you’re struggling to find package free pasta, try to at least find a product in a cardboard box that you can compost
Makes approx. 8 hearty portions, or serves 12 as a side dish
For the pesto:
- 1 bunch basil, picked and washed
- 2.5 Tbs pine nuts, toasted lightly
- 4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 large clove garlic (or more to your taste)
- ½ C water
- Salt and pepper to tasteFor the pasta and beans:
- 350g dried pasta, cooked in salted boiling water until tender
- 400g cannellini beans – soaked for 8 hours or overnight, then cooked in a pressure cooker for 12 mins (low pressure), or for approx. 90 minutes on a saucepan
- 5 cups baby spinach
- 300g green beans, top, tailed, blanched, halved (or 1 zucchini)
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 spanish onion, finely diced
For the pesto:
Combine all ingredients for pesto in a food processor – it should be thick but ‘saucy’. Add more water if necessary. Season to taste – depending on the size of the lemons it may need more!
Combine the pesto with pasta and cannellini beans. Sprinkle in baby spinach, salt, pepper and stir until combined.
In a separate bowl add the green beans, onion, vinegar and olive oil together.
Serve on a plate together.
- Total Fat4.3 g
- Saturated Fat0.2 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat1.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat0.8 g
- Cholesterol0.0 mg
- Sodium200.4 mg
- Potassium377.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate73.5 g
- Dietary Fiber15.3 g
- Sugars4.0 g
- Protein16.9 g
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- Vitamin A62.6 %
- Vitamin B-1232.0 %
- Vitamin B-6115.7 %
- Vitamin C42.9 %
- Vitamin D0.0 %
- Vitamin E2.1 %
- Calcium12.1 %
- Copper6.6 %
- Folate44.9 %
- Iron35.8 %
- Magnesium8.7 %
- Manganese33.1 %
- Niacin84.4 %
- Pantothenic Acid25.1 %
- Phosphorus5.6 %
- Riboflavin151.3 %
- Selenium8.7 %
- Thiamin192.1 %
- Zinc8.3 %