Zero Waste, Vegan, Delicious!
I used to love pate when I was a non-vegan – a habit I definitely got from my parents was to indulge regularly in a cheese platter, complete with a pate.
This recipe is more like a ‘dip’ than anything so if you’re after a true replica of a meat-based pate I would recommend doing some recipe hunting for mushroom and lentil based pates. But this is a lovely accompaniment to a cheese platter, tastes great on toast and holds its own against the meat based version!
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 C cashews, soaked overnight
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Handful parsley
- 1 tsp basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp mustard (I make my own using a Jamie Oliver recipe!)
Optional Soy Glaze:
- 1/4 C soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 C boiling water
- 1 tsp agar agar, or 2 tsp tapioca starch
- Preheat oven to 180’C. Roast the sweet potato (whole) in the oven for approx 1 hour until it is soft. Leave aside to cool, then peel
- Add the rest of the ingredients in a food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy – season to taste
- Place into a round bowl and chill in the fridge
- For the glaze – combine the soy and maple syrup in a bowl. In a separate bowl whisk together the agar agar and boiling water until smooth – if agar doesn’t dissolve, put on the stove for 2 minutes until dissolved.
- Add to the glaze mixture, then pour over the pate. Leave to set overnight.
- Serve with delicious bread, crackers or seed loaf!