This was HEAVEN! Thinking about it now absolutely makes me salivate – and want to make it again! Almost every single ingredient is available waste free:
- All of the vegetables can be purchased sans plastic or packaging
- The breadcrumbs can be found in most bulkfood stores (or make your own!)
- Bread can be purchased from stores or bakeries like Baker’s Delight – just ask for no bag!
- Oils, syrups and liquids all available from bulk-food stores
- The ‘mayo’ I mentioned can be substituted for an aqua faba version (which I have yet to try)
So I could happily claim that this entire meal is almost waste-free!
Mushies: sauté 300 g sliced mushrooms for 5 minutes in olive oil or vegan butter until golden. Add 3T golden syrup and 2T balsamic, reduce for a further 3-4 minutes until glossy and coated.
Salsa: dice 2 tomatoes into cubes, 1/4 bunch basil, 1/2 Spanish onion (small dice) and keep to one side
Sweet potato scallops: slice 12 thin strips of sweet potato (circles) then prepare a crumbling station. 1/2C flour, 1/2C plant milk mixed with 1tsp flax (makes it egg consistency) and 1C Panko bread crumbs. Dip first in flour, then milk, then bread crumbs.
For the Mayo see here
Heat 1C oil in a fry pan and fry 2-3 minutes each side until crispy and golden. Drain on paper towel
To assemble: toast Turkish bread or other, put rocket first, then sweet potato, mushies, salsa, avocado. Top with the Mayo and another piece of bread. Cracked pepper and salt if desired