This was by far the simplest recipe for tooth-paste ever – 4 ingredients! Most DIY toothpastes contain the same ingredients:
- Coconut oil – for a smooth consistency (also arguably it’s good for cleaning your teeth – look up oil pulling!)
- Bicarbonate soda – also called Baking Soda in the US, but not to be confused with Baking POWDER (this has citric acid, which is probably not the best thing to be putting onto your pearly whites!) – this is useful for lifting stains and cleaning (also great to get stuff off carpets!)
- Peppermint and Xylitol or Stevia – TASTE!
The recipe I had has lasted for almost 3 months and is as follows:
- 5 Tbs bicarb soda
- 5 Tbs coconut oil (softened)
- 15-20 drops peppermint oil
- 1-2 tsp stevia/xylitol
Mix together and put into a cute little jar (I recycle all of the jars from Lush). I will warn you, this takes a bit of getting used to, and in Winter it’s pretty solid! I use the end of my toothbrush to dig a pea sized dollop onto my toothbrush. I then rub it through my teeth for about 20 seconds before brushing.